Skip to main content

Annihilation




I’ve never quite read something like this. The most similar book I can name is Do android’s dream of electric sheep? And I can’t quite pinpoint why. One characteristic of this read that I found interesting was the coldness of the protagonist. We never know her name, and she slowly starts to reveal her personal life to the reader. I like the fact that we never find about the character’s names, it makes everything even weirder and creepier. This also parallels with how her opinions on her husband change. She thinks he is shallow in the beginning, but discovers that there was an inner life to him by reading his journal. I didn’t know if this counted as horror, since I wasn’t scared for most of the time I was reading this piece. As it went along, it became scarier and scarier. When she found the human cells in animals. The horror/thriller of this book lies within the conspiratorial and biological elements. The supernatural being the entirety of area x, its mysteries and what happened to the previous expeditions. 
One thing the protagonist in annihilation has in common with previous horror pieces I have read, is her obsession with tidal pools. Most of the readings we’ve gone through in class deal with a character’s obsession with the forbidden, tidal pools aren’t quite forbidden, but her obsession with them makes her reclusive and kind of antisocial. 
The ending was kind of confusing, but unconventional. She decides to stay in Area X, looking for whatever has remained of her husband. It’s unconventional because she willingly stays knowing her expedition partners died, and she could die by a fatal infection. Although she is already infected by the spores. Overall this was a thrilling read, very “new weird” coated in that same kind of mystery we saw in the movie “Under the skin”. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hobbit

My oh my do I love reading Tolkien, his writing has a sense of whimsy and wonder I don't really find in other fantasy works. We talk a lot about the hero's journey, but not enough about what happens before. The Hobbit speaks about conformity in our homes, but the home is never demonized or berated. It is described with love and beauty, Bilbo cares about his home because conformity is part of his identity. Before we embark on our own journey through life we are the same way. We want to stay at home and live with our family forever. That's not how life works. However, The Hobbit never demonizes the home, it is a part of life, a nest, our childhood home. The home has many memories attached to it, and its not something bad. Bilbo's conformity, also ties into his refusal to let new people into his life. Some of us have loud family members who every time they come over they rock our routine. At first, we find them annoying but later we enjoy ourselves, let go and be free ...

Assessment: Bloodchild

The unusual bond between humans and Tlic is very strange. It seems like the Tlic are using the Terrans for their own purposes in exchange for not. They're not allowed to have any weapons and depend on the Tlic for protection as long as they need them. The protagonist, a young boy named Gan, seems to take the role as a reproductive slave in this alien society. Women are usually the ones being sexually exploited, but its not the case for this one. Humans seem to be bred for hosting purposes, they live in a specific place and have a  Tlic assigned to each family.  The Tlic have also eased the humans into actually believing this is their purpose, they don't hide what happens when the humans "give birth". In the end we have a human who questions the system, but ends up giving up to the system. Or does he? Gan says he wanted to keep T Gatoi for himself.  1- What is your reaction to the text you just read? Mainly disgust, the Tlic C section was really hard to read....